Important Current Affairs
- Goa has become the first Har Ghar Jal state (Under Jal Jeevan Mission) in the country by providing tap water connection to every rural household.
- Kerala becomes the first state to form a Welfare Fund Board for the uplift of farmers in the state. The board will be known as “Kerala Karshaka Kshemanidhi Board”.
- Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia rolled out coding campaign “CODE-A-THON” for government school students.
- A two day coastal security exercise named ‘Sagar Kavach’ organized by Indian Navy along with Indian Coast Guard and all stakeholders involved in coastal security concluded off the coast of Kerala.
The exercise was conducted along the coastal areas of Kerala, Karnataka and Lakshadweep.
- India successfully test-fired the New Generation Anti Radiation Missile ‘Rudram-1’ on October 9, 2020 at the integrated test range in Balasore, Odisha. The missile has been designed and developed by India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan and Minister of State for AYUSH Shripad Yesso Naik virtually released the National Clinical Management Protocol (NCMP) based on Ayurveda and Yoga for Management of COVID-19.
- Amazon India has entered into a partnership with Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) to provide their customers with the facility to book reserved train tickets on Amazon.
- The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai has collaborated with Google to mark Containment zones in Mumbai on Google maps.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) became the most-valuable information technology (IT) company globally, surpassing rival Accenture for the first time in terms of market capitalisation.
- Mahindra Holidays and Resort India Limited acquired 6.67% stake in Great Rocksport Private Limited.
- Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute has transferred its high flow rate Fluoride and Iron removal technology to Capricans Aqua Private Limited, West Bengal. It is a constituent laboratory of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- Saurav Kittu Tank, a member of the LGBTQA community, has become the first transgender to climb the 6000 metre high Virgin Peak in Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh.
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has certified Cochin shipyard Limited for the GreenCo Silver rating.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch the physical distribution of Property Cards under the SVAMITVA Scheme on October 11, 2020 to transform rural India.
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST) and International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) India have announced collaborations to scale up the initiatives, Vigyan Jyoti and Engage with Science.
- World Bank Group has released a report, ‘Poverty and Shared Prosperity of 2020: Reversals of Fortune’. According to the report around 150 million people will be pushed into extreme poverty by the end of 2021 due to COVID-19.
- The Indian government has donated 1.8 million N95 masks to the largest city in the US state of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia to fight against COVID-19.
- China has joined the VOVAX initiative by signing an agreement with Global Vaccine Alliance. World Health Organisation (WHO) leads this initiative to supply at least 2 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines by 2021.
- Lieutenant governor of Jammu and Kashmir Manoj Sinha has Inaugurated Bawa Jitto Kisan Kendra and Agriculture Mall at Talab Tillo in Jammu.
- Tamil Nadu’s Guidance, nodal investment promotion, and facilitation agency has decided to go into partnership with the WEF- World Economic Forum to establish India’s first advanced manufacturing hub (AMHUB) in the state.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched the Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojona to promote self employment of youth and Production of green energy.
- Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal launched “Swa-nirbhar Naari: Atmanirbhar Asom” scheme to empower the economically disadvantaged women of the State in a programme organized by Panchayat & Rural Development Department at Chandrapur in Kamrup (Metro) district.
- Chief Minister Vijay Rupani gave his approval for the Surat Draft Development Plan-2035 prepared by the Surat Urban Development Authority.
- Uttarakhand Government has Inaugurated the State Disaster Response Force’s latest Quick Deployment Antenna technology to communicate with rural areas.
- To increase the production of black cumin, the Jammu and Kashmir administration has set up a cumin research centre for its cultivation in Pampore district.
National and International Appointments
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal has been given additional charge of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution after the death of Ram Vilas Paswan.
- Commonwealth Gold Medalist Chetan Anand has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Transform, India’s first ever badminton brand.
- Senior bureaucrat Bimbadhar Pradhan has been appointed Secretary-General of The National Human Rights Commission.
- Pradeep Kumar Rawat has been appointed as the next ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Netherlands.
Awards and Honor
World Food Programme has won the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to combat hunger and food insecurity around the globe. The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organisation that promotes good security in over 88 countries.
Obituaries and Retirement
Eminent Kannada film director Vijay Reddy has passed away recently.
Banking News (Domestic and International Banks)
- The National Bank for Agricultural and Rural Development (NABARD) has signed three Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with State Bank of India (SBI) in Ahmedabad Gujrat to extend credit support for various NABARD projects.
- Fino Payment Bank has launched its “human ATM” at Anuradha Auto Service Centre, a Bharat Petroleum outlet in Visakhapatnam.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to make available the RTGS system round the clock on all days from December 2020 in order to facilitate swift and seamless payments in real-time for domestic businesses and institutions.
- World Mental Health Day is observed every year on 10th October. Theme 2020- Mental Health for All.
- World Migratory Bird day is marked twice a year during May and October. This October it falls on Saturday, 10th October.
Theme- Birds Connect Our World
- India Post has commenced celebration of National Postal Week from 9th October to 15th October.
- World Egg Day is observed on the Second Friday of October, this year it falls on October 9.