Current Affairs 30 September
- The 300th Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH- Dhruv) was rolled out from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s hanger here on Tuesday.
- Rupa Gurunath has been re-elected as a whole time director of the Indian Cements Ltd. for a period of five years.
- Indian Railways on Monday (September 28) rolled out the User Depot Module (UDM), developed by the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS), across all User Depots of Western Railway.
- A toll free counseling service SAMVEDNA (Sensitising Action on Mental Health Vulnerability through Emotional Development and Necessary Acceptance) has been launched by National Commission for Protection of Child Rights. The service is exclusively for children who are willing to talk and are in need of counseling during Covid times.
- The Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on September 29, 2020, released the Project Management Approach (PMA) guidelines for iDEX (Innovation for Defence Excellence). The guidelines were released during the launch function of Defence India Startup Challenge- 4 (DISC 4), iDEX4Fauji initiative.
- Government of India constituted Five Ministerial Task Forces to make India’s MSMEs better equipped for future and formulate strategies to make India a leading exporter.
- In a first of its kind attempt, a biodiversity map for Mumbai has been created. Artist and cartoonist Rohan Chakravarty has created this map.
- Power Finance Corporation Limited (PFC) has signed a performance-based Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Power detailing various targets to be achieved by PFC during FY 2020-21. The MoU was signed by Power Secretary Sanjiv Nandan Sahai and CMD of PFC R.S. Dhillon.
- Flipkart announced a partnership with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company to offer “Digital Suraksha Group Insurance” for customers in the country.
- Uttar Pradesh Government has bagged 8 awards in Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan launched by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation under the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti. Apart from that The State has also got overall second rank in implementation of Gandagi Mukt Bharat scheme.
- The ministry of corporate affairs (MCA) has extended the deadline for the Companies Fresh Start Scheme (CFSS) and the LLP Settlement Scheme till the end of the year.
- 10 new rules will be applicable from October 1, 2020.
i) Free LPG connection under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojona will be ending on September 30, 2020.
ii) No physical verification of documents like Driving License and RC will be required from October 1, 2020. One can drive a vehicle with only a valid soft copy of these documents attached to the vehicle. The notification was issued by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
iii) The Income Tax Department had issued guidelines for the applicability of Tax Collected at Source (TCS) provision which will require an e-commerce operator to deduct 1% tax on the sale of goods and services. The new regime of TCS will come into effect from October 1, 2020.
iv) New guidelines set by insurance regulator Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) for medical insurance providers are set to come into force from October 1.
v) Food Regulator FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) has banned the blending of mustard oil with any other cooking oil with effect from October 1, 2020.
vi) RBI has issued new guidelines to secure credit and debit cards and the changes will be effective from October 1, 2020.
vii) As per the direction by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) Sweet Sellers will be required to display ‘best before date’.
viii) As the government declined to extend the duty exemption expiring at the end of September 2020, from October 1, 2020, open cells will now attract 5% import duty.
ix) The driver will now be able to use mobile phones for route navigation, as per the amendment made by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways in the Motor Vehicles Rules 1989.
x) From the coming month 5% tax will be levied on foreign fund transfer from October 1. the tax will only for the amount spent above Rs. 7 Lakh.
- Three of Apple Inc.’s top contract manufacturers plan to invest a total of almost $900 million in India in the next five years to tap into a new production-linked incentive plan.
Foxconn, Wistron and Pegatron all plan to make investments under the scheme.
- The Ministry of External Affairs informed that PM Narendra Modi and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will hold a virtual bilateral summit in December 2020.
The Ministry also informed that the entire gamut of bilateral relations between India and Bangladesh was reviewed during the 6th round of Joint Consultative Commission (JCC) meeting on September 29, 2020. It was co-chaired by Dr. S. Jaishankar and Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen.
- Gujarat Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Denmark in the water sector for a five-year period.
- In Maharashtra’s Sangli district, the police have rolled out a campaign, “No Mask, No Ride” to contain the spread of Coronavirus in the region.
- Andhra Pradesh chief minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched the YSR Jala Kala scheme to benefit small and medium farmers who have no open-source of water for irrigation.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has launched the stage II of JAGA Mission ( Odisha Liveable Habitat Mission) on September 28, 2020 from Balasore through video conference. Under this mission, all the slums in the state will be converted into Adarsh colonies within the next three years.
- Nagaland Government launched the scheme, “Livelihood Generation Programme for Returned Migrant Workers due to COVID-19 Pandemic” to provide skill development training for migrant workers.
- Tamil Nadu seeks Rs 31,000 crore from the centre as a loan under the Aatmanirbhar Bharat to pay power bills.
National and International Appointments
- Noted filmmaker Shekhar Kapur has been named as the President of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Society and Chairman of Governing Council of FTII.
- Ed-Tech startup Vedantu, that offers live online tutoring has appointed actor Aamir Khan as its brand ambassador.
Awards and Honor
Actor Sonu Sood has been honoured with the prestigious SDG Special Humanitarian Action Award by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for his philanthropic work during COVID-19 pandemic.
Books and Author
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has launched a book “A bouquet of flowers” written by Dr. Krishna Saksena.
Obituaries and Retirement
- Kuwait’s Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmed has passed away.
- Veteran songwriter Abhilash has died recently.
- IDFC Bank becomes the first bank in the country to enable document embedding feature on SFMS (Structured Financial Messaging System) developed by Indian Financial Technology and Allied Services which is wholly owned subsidiary of Reserve Bank of India. SFMS is a secure messaging standard developed to serve as a platform for intra-bank and inter-bank applications.
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has entered into a partnership with a leading Indian credit bureau CRIF High Mark Credit Information Services, owned by CRIF to launch “Industry Spotlight”,a quarterly report based on Industry sectors especially MSMEs.
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development is embarking on a Sanitation Literacy Campaign (SLC) from October 2 to promote literacy on ‘WASH’ (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) in 2,000 villages across the country covering one lakh rural population.
East Bengal has become the 11th team in Indian Super League (ISL) from 2029-21 season.
- Domestic Rating Agency ICRA estimated India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) with a contraction of 11% in the fiscal year 2020-21.
- The Income Tax Department issued guidelines for applicability of TCS provision which requires an e-commerce operator to deduct 1 per cent tax on the sale of goods and services with effect from October 1.
- The central government and the Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India (IRDAI) are making plans to float $2 billion alternative investment fund for startups.
- International Translation Day is observed on 30 September.
Theme- Finding the words for a world in crisis.