Current Affairs for the Day 7th October
- The seventh off-shore patrol vessel of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG), “Vigraha” was formally unveiled at Kattupalli, Chennai. The vessel built by Larsen and Toubro is the last in the series of seven off-shore patrol vessel.
- Naval Investiture Ceremony was conducted at Samudrika Naval Auditorium, Visakhapatnam.
- Prasar Bharati and Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited, IFFCO have signed a MoU to broadcast (in DD Kisan) and promote new agriculture technology and innovations.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has rolled out Indian Bank’s business mentoring programme ‘MSME Prerana’ for MSMEs.
- Reliance General Insurance has partnered with SatSure for satellite-based crop monitoring and predictive analytics support to better risk management and improve the efficiency of its crop insurance business operations.
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Rural Development, Panchayat Raj and Food Processing Industries, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar addressed the two-day India-Canada Agri-Tech Virtual Seminar, organized by the Indo-Canadian Business Chamber (ICBC) in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- Minister of Railways and Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal has released the first edition of National Startup Awards across 12 sectors (35 categories). The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has conceived the National Startup Awards to recognize and reward outstanding Startups and ecosystem enablers.
Piyush Goyal has also launched the “Startup India Showcase” and “Blockchain-based Certificate Verification System”.
- The Drugs Controller General of India has given its go-ahead for conducting Phase-1 human clinical trial of ‘antisera’, a potential treatment COVID-19. The ‘antisera’ has been developed by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in collaboration with a Hyderabad-based bio-pharmaceutical firm- Biological E Limited.
- Computer Science and Engineering Department of Kharagpur Indian Institute of Technology has developed iMediX, a telemedicine technology for home care amid COVID-19.
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways Piyush Goyal has renamed virtually the Naugarh Railway Station to Siddharthnagar Railway Station in Uttar Pradesh.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan virtually chaired the 5th session of Bureau of the Executive Board as chairman of the Executive Board of the World Health Organisation.
- Chhattisgarh would be the first state to legally challenge the Centre’s farm laws that have triggered farmers’ protests across Haryana, Punjab and western Uttar Pradesh.
- National Institute of Technology (NIT) Warangal graduates have launched an e-commerce platform– ‘Pickmycloth’–for the weavers to directly sell their products to the customers.
- The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) will be commissioning India’s largest HPC-AI supercomputer ‘PARAM Siddhi – AI’ (built on NVIDIA).
- India and Myanmar have agreed to work towards the operationalization of the Sittwe port in the Rakhine state.
India announced a grant of two million US dollars for the construction of the border haat bridge in chin state that will provide increased economic connectivity between Mizoram and Myanmar.
- A global meet “India PV Edge 2020” was organised by NITI Aayog, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and Invest India on 6th October.
- Foreign ministers of all four Quad countries – India, US, Japan, Australia – have met in the Japanese capital Tokyo on October 6, 2020.
- The Noida International Airport Limited (NIAL) and Zurich Airport International AG today signed a key agreement that would allow the Swiss developer to begin work at the site of the upcoming Jewar airport near Delhi.
- Kyrgyzstan’s prime minister Kubatbek Boronov has resigned and now he has been replaced by Sadyr Japarov.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has unveiled Digital Seva Setu programme under the Bharat Net Project for the rural areas where this programme will connect a total of 10,000 village panchayats with high-speed Internet connectivity.
- Odisha Government has initiated steps to start Favipiravir therapy for COVID-19 patients in home isolation.
- The Uttarakhand government has announced to open two Atal Adarsha Vidyalayas in each of the 90 blocks of the state.
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant inaugurated DISHTAVO (Digital Integrated System for Holistic Teaching and Virtual Orientations) YouTube channel to create online E-content in form of video lectures of the syllabus for college affiliated to Goa University.
National and International Appointments
- State Bank of India has appointed Dinesh Khara as its next chairman for a three-year term starting from October 7, 2020.
- M A Ganapathy has been appointed by Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) as its Director-General.
- Subhendu Rai has been elected as the new president of Institute of Actuaries of India, a statutory body established under an act of Parliament, for the tenure of two years.
- Indian Cricketer Ajinkya Rahane has been appointed by a sports tech startup, Huddle as its Brand Ambassador and advisor.
Awards and Honor
Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway presented “Man of the Month” safety awards to 45 employees.
- ICICI Bank in partnership with Visa has launched a debit card facility for customers availing themselves of Loan Against Securities (LAS).
- Vistara and Axis Bank have launched a co-branded forex card that can load up to 16 currencies.
- The Asian Development Bank signed an agreement to invest 15 million USD in Avaada Energy Private Limited to support the company.
- Security Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has introduced very high-risk category on its Mutual Funds riskometer tool to warn investors who are investing in mutual fund schemes.
- Nadia Podoroska from Argentina has become the first qualifier to reach French Open Women’s Singles semi-finals.
- Virat Kohli has become the first Indian cricketer to hit 9000 runs in T20 cricket.
- Australian women’s cricket team on October 7, 2020 equalled the world record for the most consecutive ODI victories after they defeated New Zealand in the third ODI of the three-match series.
- India celebrated October 5 every year as the “Ganga River Dolphin Day”.
- World Cotton Day (WCD) is observed on 7th October.