Current Affairs for Government Jobs
- 51st edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will be held from 16th to 24th January 2021 in Goa.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar participated in the Special Ministerial Meeting of Foreign Ministers of the Conference of Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA).
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has participated in the annual information meeting of the SAARC (The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) Council of Ministers.
- The Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers Shri D. V. Sadananda Gowda has approved Setting up of 10 Plastic Parks in India out of which 6 parks have been given final approval in the States of Assam, Madhya Pradesh (two parks), Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Jharkhand.
- The Parliament on September 23, 2020, passed three labour codes that aim to pave the way for the enactment of historic “game-changer” Labour Laws.
The three labour codes include – 1. Industrial Relations Code, 2020 2. Occupational Safety, Health & Working Conditions Code, 2020 (OSH Code) 3:Social Security Code, 2020
- An Indian space tech startup Pixxel and Momentus Inc.( which provides space satellite transportation) have signed an agreement to launch the second satellite of Pixxel to SSO orbit (Sun-Synchronous orbit).
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has increased the limit of using State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) for COVID-19 specific infrastructure from 35% to 50%.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the “Fit India Age Appropriate Fitness Protocols” during an online fit India dialogue, to celebrate the first anniversary of the Fit India Movement.
- A team of innovators of the North-Eastern Hill University has developed a book sanitization machine “ABSCoM” to deal with the spread of COVID-19 through books.
- Responsible AI for Social Empowerment (RAISE) 2020, a mega virtual summit on Artificial Intelligence will be organized by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and NITI Ayog from 5th to 9th October 2020. The summit will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Agriculture and Farmer Welfare Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has rolled out Centralised Farm Machinery Performance Testing Portal. This portal is developed by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare.
- The Ministry of Education celebrated “Shikhsak Parv” from 8th to 25th September 2020 to felicitate the teachers and to take new education policy 2020 forward.
- Time Magazine has released the 100 Most Influential People List 2020 in five catagories: Pioneers, Artists, Leaders, Titans, Icons. There are five Indians in the TIME’s 100 most influential people list for the year 2020. Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi is the only Indian politician on TIME’s list.
- Foreign Ministers from the Group of 4 — India, Brazil, Japan and Germany — a group that is seeking permanent membership of the UN Security Council (UNSC), participated virtually on Wednesday to further their objective.
- Somalia’s President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed elected Mohamed Hussein Roble as the new Prime Minister of Somalia.
- Alexander Lukashenko took oath as the President of Belarus for a consecutive sixth term and his tenure is five years.
- Tel Aviv set to become the first city with electric roads that charge public transportation. The electric roads are part of a pilot program led by the Tel Aviv-Yafo Municipality in collaboration with ElectReon, a company developing a system that can charge electric vehicles while they are moving.
- India has released 1.54 billion Nepali rupees (approximately INR 96 crores) to Nepal towards housing and school sector assistance under the Indian government’s post-earthquake reconstruction commitment in the Himalayan country.
- Amazon has announced its new cloud gaming platform, called Luna. Amazon Luna will take on Microsoft’s Project X, Google’s Stadia and Nvidia’s Geforce Now.
- GMR Infrastructure has entered into agreements for the sale of entire 51 per cent stake owned by its wholly-owned subsidiary GMR SEZ and Port Holding Ltd (GSPHL) in Kakinada SEZ Ltd (KSEZ) to Aurobindo Realty and Infrastructure Pvt Ltd.
- According to the World Risk Index report 2020, India has ranked 89th among 181 countries. The report states that India is poorly prepared for climate change.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched ‘Mukhyamantri Gramya Paribahan Achoni Yojana”. The scheme has been launched by transport department following an announcement made by the Chief Minister to improve rural connectivity and generate employment in the villages.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has rolled out U-Rise portal for the employment of youth. The portal will contain details of each student from their time of enrolment until they get employment.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee virtually inaugurated two major green projects in collaboration with European Union Countries.
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has announced that maroon colour patted passbooks will be issued to non-agriculture landholders in the state.
National and International Appointments
- Sonu Sood has been appointed by Acer India as its ambassador.
- Former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi has been appointed as a life trustee of the India International Centre (IIC).
- Energy Efficiency Services Ltd. (ESSL) has appointed Rajat Sud as its Managing director by replacing S Gopal.
Awards and Honor
- Eminent Malayalam poet Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri was conferred with the Jnanpith award on Thursday by Kerala Culture Minister A.K. Balan.
- Historian and Author Rana Safvi have been honoured with Yamin Hazarika Award for her contribution to the syncretic culture of India.
Obituaries and Retirement
- Former Australian cricketer and renowned commentator Dean Jones have passed away recently.
- Legendary newspaper editor Harold Evans died at the age of 92.
- Veteran Indian Nuclear Scientist Sekhar Basu has passed away recently. He was the chairman of Atomic Energy Commission and the director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre.
- National award-winning singer SP Balasubramaniam has died. He won Guinness World Record for recording the highest number of songs.
- Veteran Congress leader and former Odisha minister Sk Matlub Ali have passed away recently.
IDFC First bank has announced the launch of a digital facility, SafePay to enable contactless debit card transactions by waving smart phone against a Near Field Communication enabled Point of Sale (PoS) terminal.
● Antodyodaya Diwas 2020 is being celebrated on 25th September as the foundation day of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojona (DDU – GKY).
● World Pharmacist Day is observed globally on 25th September.