Current Affairs of the Day 13th October
- Kerala has become the first state to have completely digital, hi-tech classrooms in all public schools.
- Union Minister of Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad will host the Seventh Meeting of Ministers of Justice of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) on October 16.
- Intel India has partnered with IIIT Hyderabad, Public Health Foundation of India and the Telangana government to unveil a research centre focusing on leveraging artificial intelligence (AI) to solve India’s population-scale challenges in sectors such as healthcare and smart mobility.
- The Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M) has developed a sustainable antimicrobial wrapping material that can prevent packaged food contamination by bacteria as well as reduce the plastic waste generated in the environment when disposing of the wrappers.
- India has been ranked 129 among 158 countries in the 2020 Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index released by the International Charitable Organisation ‘Oxfam International’. The 2020 CRI Index has been topped by Norway.
- JSW Energy Limited has decided to invest ₹9,000 crores in two wind projects in Karnataka.
- Tech Giant Intel has partnered with IIT Hyderabad, Public Health Foundation of India and Telangana Government to set up a new Applied Artificial Intelligence Research Centre.
- eSanjeevani telemedicine initiative of the Union Health Ministry has recorded the completion of 5 lakh teleconsultations so far.
Presently, 26 states have been using the two variants of eSanjeevani’s telemedicine, namely patient to doctor (eSanjeevani OPD) and the doctor to doctor (eSanjeevani AB-HWC).
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has launched the Nirbhay Cruise missile from Odisha’s test Facility on 12 October 2020. Nirbhay is India’s first indigenously developed cruise missile.
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has virtually inaugurated New Campus and 10 New Buildings at Central University of Punjab, Bathinda. It is dedicated to “Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan, Jai Vigyan and Jai Anusandhan”.
- Tech for Tribals initiative shall be launched on 13th October 2020.
It is launched by TRIFED under Ministry of Tribal Affairs in collaboration with Chhattisgarh MFP Federation and IIT Kanpur.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman introduces various schemes to boost consumer & capital demand worth Rs 73000 crore by 31 March 2021.
- Export-Import Bank (Exim) of India supported Line of Credit (LoC) of USD 310 million for the purpose of financing repowering of Hwange Thermal Power Station in Zimbabwe.
- Bangladesh Government has approved a draft law to include the death penalty as the highest punishment for rape.
- Tajikistan’s President Emomali Rahmon has been re-elected with 90 per cent of the votes.
- Prince William and Sir David Attenborough join forces on ‘Earth shot’ prize. They have joined forces to launch what they hope will become the “Nobel Prize for environmentalism”.
- Argentina has become the first county in the world to approve the use of drought-resistant genetically modified wheat.
- The Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation (TAEF) and India’s National Maritime Foundation (NMF) signed a memorandum of understanding at the Yushan Forum to foster Taiwan-India cooperation in maritime affairs and regional development.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) will hold its Annual Meeting 2021 in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland.
- The fifth meeting of the India-Mexico Bilateral High-Level Group on Trade, Investment and Cooperation (BHLG) held on October 9 through video conferencing. India and Mexico have agreed to expand and diversify bilateral trade ties and tap the potential of the complementarities between the two countries.
- The Haryana government has launched a mobile water testing laboratory van and it is under the Jal Jeevan Mission, which aims to provide tap water to rural households by 2024.
- Telangana cabinet has decided to set up 6000 paddy purchasing centres in villages to produce food grains.
- The Odisha Government has decided to constitute ‘Oversight Committees” at the District level to audit qualify of Covid care facilities.
- Chief Minister of Tamilnadu Edapaddi K Palaniswami signed 14 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) worth ₹ 10,055 crores to generate employment opportunities.
- Haryana Government has rolled out “Lab on Wheels” to test the water quality in the state Under Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Arunachal Pradesh is ready to feature on India’s aviation map with Greenfield airport at Hollongi.
- PepsiCo plans to establish potato chips plant in Uttar Pradesh with Rs 814 crore outlay.
National and International Appointments
Former racer Akbar Ebrahim has been elected for a second term as the president of India’s motorsports governing body, Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI).
Awards and Honor
- Indian origin Philanthropist Harish Kotecha has won the prestigious Sandra Neese Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Shai Evra of Princeton University, US, will be awarded the 2020 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize for his outstanding work on high dimensional expanders in Geometric topology.
Books and Authors
Prime minister Narendra Modi has released the autobiography of Dr. Balasaheb Vikhe Patil titled as “Deh Vechwa Karani” and renamed Pravara Rural Education Society as ‘Loknete Dr. Balasaheb Vikhe Patil Pravara Rural Education Society’.
Obituaries and Retirement
- Nagaland Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Justice & Law C.M. Chang has passed away recently.
- Bihar Minister for Backward and Extremely Backward Classes Welfare Vinod Singh has died recently.
- Charlie Moore, the 400-meter hurdles champion at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, has died.
Banking News (Domestic and International Banks)
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved 300 million US Dollar loan to finance water supply, sanitation infrastructure in Rajasthan.
- Axis Bank has announced the launch of its ACE Credit Card in India in collaboration with Google Pay and Visa. The card meant to help with digital payments.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $270 million loan to develop water supply and integrated stormwater and sewage management infrastructure of urban local bodies (ULBs) for improved service delivery in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- The government has announced a twin set of measures to boost consumption demand and capital expenditure (Capex), which are estimated to result in quick spending of more than Rs. 1 lakh crore by March 2021.
- Poland’s Robert Lewandowski who represents the club Bayern Munich has been named as the UEFA (Union of Europium Football Association) Men’s Player of 2020.
- Los Angeles Lakers have won the National Basketball Association Championship 2020 by defeating Miami Heat.
- Five Players from Indian Judo team will take part in Grand Slam 2020 Competition in Budapest, Hungary, from 23rd to 26th October.
- Tokyo will host an international gymnastics tournament on Nov. 8 and The event is sanctioned by the International Gymnastics Federation.
Every year National Philately Day is celebrated on October 13. India Post has launched Stamped Mask & Virtual i-Card on Philately Day.