Current Affairs for Government Exams
- Union Cabinet headed by Narendra Modi has approved the establishment of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Darbhanga, Bihar.
- On the occasion of Engineer’s Day (15 September), a customised “My Stamp” was released by Department of Posts on India’s first anti-satellite missile (A-SAT), in the presence of National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval.
- According to government data, India companies had received Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) worth $1 billion from china from April 2016 to March 2020.
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package Insurance Scheme for health workers fighting against COVID-19, has been extended for another 180 days. This central scheme provides an insurance cover of ₹50 lakh to healthcare providers.
- VI (Vodafone-idea) has launched an integrated 4G network named as “GIGAnet”.
- Prime minister Narendra Modi will dedicate to the Nation the historic Kosi Rail Mahasetu(1.9km long) on 18th September 2020.
- Titan Company has entered into a partnership with SBI to launch “Titan Pay” a contactless transaction watches. With this launch, payments of upto 2000 can be made without entering a pin.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs recently approved 121.7 km Haryana Orbital Rail Corridor Project.
- The Bharat Heavy Elecricals Limited has partnered with SwissRapid AG to introduce magnetic levitation trains In India.
- 12 faculty members of AICTE has been conferred with the first-ever AICTE Visvesvaraya Best Teachers Award 2020, was presented by Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank. It will now be given every year on Engineers Day.
- India has been elected as a member for four years (2021-2025) of the United Nation Commission on the Status of Women(CSW), a body of the Economic and Social Council. But China failed to gain membership in CSW.
- The 10th Defence Technology and Trade Initiative, (part of the Indo-US Bilateral Defence Cooperation)DTTI group meeting was held virtually.
- Nvidea will acquire the UK based chip designer Arm of Softbank for as much as $40 billion.
- Fiumicino International Airport is also known as Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport situated in Rome, Italy has been certified with “COVID-19 5-Star airport rating” by Skytrax.
- India has joined as an observer nation in Djibouti Code of Conduct/ Jeddah Amendment.
- The Foreign Minister of the India, Brazil and South Africa jointly called comprehensive reforms of the UN Security Council at the IBSA Foreign Minister’s Virtual meeting on September 16, 2020.
- The trade deficit between India and China in April-June this fiscal year fell to $5.48 billion from $13.1 billion from the previous year.
- The first Arab-Israeli peace deal in 26 years, Abraham Accord has been signed by three countries- Israel, UAE, Bahrain.
- Rajasthan government has signed an agreement with SIDBI to develop the MSME ecosystem.
- Odisha will inaugurate an Elephant rehabilitation centre at Kumarkhunti in Chandaka-Dampada sanctuary near to Bhubaneswar.
- In Gujarat, The Industry Department signed an MoU with SIDBI to encourage the MSME sector.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister has launched “Poshan Sarkar” programme.
- Karnataka Government has approved the “Tourism Policy 2020-2025” to boost tourism-related aspects within the state and promote tourism at the district level.
National and international Appointments
- Virat Kohli has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Educational Technology Company Great Learnings.
- Takeo Konoshi has been appointed by the Asian Development Bank as the new Country Director for India.
- Petronet LNG Limited has appointed Vinod Kumar Mishra as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO).
- India’s fastest growing online poker platform 9stacks has appointed Suresh Raina as its brand ambassador.
- Neena Malhotra has been appointed as the next ambassador to Italy from India.
Obituaries and Retirement
- Former test cricketer Sadashiv Raoji Patil has passed away recently.
- Leading art and dance scholar Kapila Vatsyayan has passed away recently. She was awarded Padma Vibhushan and she served as secretary in the Ministry of Education.
- Padmasri Award winner prominent Ayurveda physician PR Keishnakumar has passed away recently.
Honor and Awards
- Confederation of Indian Industry has awarded Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) with Environmental Project Award at 7th CII Environmental Best Practices Awards Conference.
- Margaret Atwood has been honoured with 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize.
Banking news (Domestic and International)
- The Lok Sabha has passed an amendment bill to the Banking Regulation Act,1949 to bring Cooperative banks under the supervision of the RBI on September 16, 2020. The amendments do not apply on the Primary Agricultural Credit Society (PACS) or cooperative societies.
- SBM Bank (India) Limited has collaborated with MasterCard World Debit Card for high net worth customers.
- S&P Global Ratings has projected a contraction of 9% in GDP of India in the Fiscal Year(2020-21).
- The organisation of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has estimated a contraction of 10.2% in Indian Economy in FY-21.
Badminton World Federation (BWF) has postponed the Thomas Cup(For men) and Uber Cup (For women) until next year, scheduled at Aarhus (Denmark).
● World Ozone Day or International Day for the Preservation of Ozone Layes is observed on 16 September. Theme- Ozone For Life : 35 years of ozone layer protection.
● World Patient Safety day is observed every year on 17th September.
Theme- Health Worker Safety:A priority For Patient Safety