Current Affairs on 18-19 September
- Shiromani Akali Dal MP and food processing minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal have resigned from union cabinet in protest against anti-farmer ordinances and legislation. Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has been assigned as the Minister of Food Processing Industries in addition to his existing portfolios.
- Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri has launched private jet terminal at Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi. IGI has become the first airport in the country to have a private jet terminal.
- Tata Group has won the contract for the construction of the new Parliament Building with a bid of Rs. 861.90 crores by beating Larsen and Toubro.
Completion in 21 months.
- Till now, 100% of foreign investments were permitted in the defence industry, where 49% was under the automatic route and government approval was required beyond that. The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has issued a note on September 17, 2020, permitting the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) above 74% in the defence production on the automatic route. 100% of foreign investments were permitted in the defence industry, where 49% was under the automatic route and government approval was required beyond that.
- According to India Happiness Report 2020 surveyed by Rajesh K Pillania covering all states and union territories, Mizoram has been ranked top position followed by Punjab and Andaman & Nicobar. Uttarakhand and Chhattisgarh are on the bottom.
- Union Environment Ministry has announced the decision to recommend eight Indian beaches for the coveted “Blue Flag” International eco-label. Blue flag beaches are considered the benchmark for clean beaches in the world. India’s own CEO-label is Beach Environment and Aesthetic Management Services (BEAMS).
- Vaishwik Bharatiya Vaigyanik summit will be held online on 2nd October by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and DRDO. This summit will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Government of India has created the Indian National Space Promotion and Authorisation Centre, an independent single window nodal agency under the Department of Space.
- A newly built Interceptor boat of the Indian Coast Guard built by Larsen and Toubro was launched in Surat.
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation has launched “i-ATS”(Automatic Train Supervision), an indigenously built communication-based train control signalling technology for the metro.
- The Parliament passed Aircraft (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on 15 September, after the approval from Rajyasabha. The approved bill seeks to amend the Aircraft Act of 1934 and convert their three regulatory bodies that are under civil aviation ministry into the Statutory bodies
- According to the World Bank’s annual Human Capital Index 2020, among 174 countries India has been ranked at the 116th position. Singapore has been ranked 1st position in this index.
- Rusia Direct Investment fund has partnered with Hyderabad based Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories to conduct clinical trials and distribute 100 million doses of Sputnik-V COVID-19 vaccine in India.
- Former US president Barack Obama has announced on 17th September, the publication in November of the first half of his memories, “A Promised Land”. Publisher Penguin Random House.
- According to the report of Smart City index, 2020 released by Institute for Management Development along with Singapore University for Technology and Design, Singapore has secured the 1st position followed by Helsinki (Finland) among 109 cities. Indian city Hyderabad is at 85th position (top in India) and New Delhi is at 86th position.
- 10th meeting of the BRICS high representatives on National Security was chaired by Russia. National Security Advisor Ajit Doval represented India.
- Udit Singhal has been named by the United Nations in the list of 2020 class of Young Leaders for Sustainable Development Goals. This 18-year-old Indian boy is the founder of Glass2Sand, a zero-waste ecosystem that has been addressing the growing problem of glass waste in Delhi.
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur has inaugurated virtually the “Swachhata Cafe” at Nalagarh in Solan district. “Swachhata Park” is also being opened at Kufri in Shimla.
- Chief Minister Karnataka B.S. Yediyurappa has rolled out the “Arthika Spandana” loan disbursal scheme.
- Maharashtra Government has launched a new road accident insurance scheme named after late Shiv Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray.
- Kerala has become the first state to institutionalize snake handling in the country.
Obituaries and Retirement
- Former President of Republic of Mali General Moussa Traore has passed away recently.
- Rajyasabha Member of Parliament Ashok Gasti has passed away.
- Former Governor of RBI Amitabha Ghosh has passed away. He is known as the shortest tenure governor of RBI.
- Forrest Gump Author Winston Groom has died recently.
- US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed away recently.
Awards and Honor
The prestigious award 2020 Asia Game Changer will be given to Vikas Khanna for feeding millions across India amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Books and Authors
Arundhati Roy has released her book “Azadi : Freedom, Fascism, Fiction”.
Banking news (Domestic and International)
- ICICI Home Finance has launched a loan scheme “Apna Ghar Dreamz”.
- Canara Bank has introduced a lead management system named as i-Lead 2.0
- Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank has launched “Vikas Laghu Suvarna”, a special gold loan scheme.
UBS Securities has projected a contraction by 8.6% of India’s GDP for the financial year 2020-2021.
● First International Equal day is being celebrated on 18th September.
● World Bamboo Day is observed every year on 18th September.
Theme- BAMBOO NOW.
● World Water Monitoring Day is observed annually on 18 September. Theme- Solve Water.
● International Coastal Clean-Up day is observed every year on third Saturday of September(This year 19th September ).