Daily Current Affairs for Indian Government Jobs
- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was successfully test-fired from the Indian Navy’s indigenously-built stealth destroyer INS Chennai.
- The first-ever SCO Startup Forum will be launched on 27th October 2020 ahead of the SCO trade ministers meeting on 28th October.
- Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 102nd meeting of World Bank Development Committee Plenary through video conferencing on 16 October, 2020.
- Zero Rajdhani, A special superfast train via Bogibeel, India’s longest rail-road bridge across the Brahmaputra, covers 117 km less than the regular Rajdhani route between New Delhi and Dibrugarh.
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has collaborated with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Joint Advanced Technology Centre (JATC) in order to augment Research and Development capabilities.
- Tata Motors has associated with HDFC Bank for financing of its passenger vehicles. In this regard, Tata Motors launched two new schemes, “Gradual Step Up Scheme” and “TML Flexi Drive Scheme”.
- India successfully test fired the indigenously developed nuclear-capable surface-to-surface Short range Ballistic Missile “Prithvi-II”.
- Government-owned Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC), India’s leading NBFC, has sanctioned Rs2790cr to Jammu Kashmir Power Corporation ltd (JKPCL) for clearing its outstanding dues.
PFC and JKPCL signed and exchanged an agreement for Liquidity Infusion Scheme under “Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan” for the Jammu and Kashmir Union Territory.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is going to deliver the keynote address at the Grand Challenges Annual Meeting (GCAM) 2020 on October 19, 2020. This 3-day program will be held virtually.
- The first of the five seaplane services in Gujarat will be inaugurated on October 31, the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
It shall connect Sabarmati River in Ahmedabad to the Statue of Unity in Kevadia in Narmada district.
- Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi will inaugurate annual India Energy Forum by CERAWeek from 26th to 28th October, by IHS Markit.
- India has ranked 4th in the Asia Power Index 2020, released by Lowy Institute which is an Australian think tank. China emerged as the most powerful country in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launches Ayushman Sahakar scheme for co-operative healthcare facilities. The Scheme was developed by the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC).
- Country’s First Sustainable Municipal Solid Waste Processing Facility developed by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) – Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI).
- Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has virtually addressed students from ASEAN member states who have been selected for prestigious ASEAN PhD Fellowship Programme funded by Government of India.
- Nine states and UTs namely Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Chandigarh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Puducherry, Tripura, Jammu and Kashmir have been selected by Ministry of Sports for upgradation to Khelo India State Centre of Excellence.
- Aishwarya Sridhar has become the first Indian woman to win the 2020 Wildlife Photographer of the Year award. The image is named “Lights of Passion”.
- Annual Naval Exercise Malabar-2020 is expected to be held in the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea later this year.
- India successfully test-fired the Stand-off-Anti-tank (SANT) missile off the Odisha coast on October 19, 2020.
This missile has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari on October 20, 2020, laid the foundation stone for India’s first-ever multi-modal logistic park in Assam.
- Eight edition of annual Navy Bilateral maritime exercise “SLINEX-20” between India and Sri Lanka will be held in Trincomalee, Sri Lanka from October 19 to October 21.
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has secured second term with historic victory.
- Israel and Bahrain agreed to establish formal diplomatic relations, making the small Gulf country the fourth Arab state to normalize ties with Israel.
- India and Netherlands have collaborated in the e-Health sector to provide digital health facilities and accelerate the digital Transformation of health. This collaboration is a part of National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) of India.
- India and Chile held their first Joint Commission Meeting virtually on 16th October, 2020. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar represented India at this meeting.
- Singapore will become the World’s first county to use facial verification in its national ID Scheme.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched “Hans Jal Dhara Yojona”
under which pure drinking water will be supplied to 200 villages.
- Uttar Pradesh Government has launched a women empowerment campaign “Mission Shakti” to raise awareness and tackle crime against women in the state.
National and International Appointments:
- The Supreme Court has appointed a one-man monitoring committee headed by a former judge, Justice Madan B Lokur to address the issue of air pollution in the NCR.
- Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla has got extension of service till 22nd August, 2021.
- Roltan Jaitley has been elected as the President of the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA).
Books and Authors:
- Australian great Steve Waugh has authored a book titled “The Spirit of Cricket – India” that contains over 200 photographs captured by him.
- Jagdeep Dhankar, Governor of West Bengal released a book titled “On the Trails of Buddha: A Journey to the East” authored by Deepankar Aron.
- Nagaland Minister for Health and Family Welfare, S. Pangnyu Phom launched a hand book on “TB Harega, Desh Jeetega”.
- The book “C is for Cat and D is for Depression” has been authored by Kairavi Bharat.
Obituaries and Retirement:
- Pakistan fast bowler Umar Gul announced his retirement from all formats of cricket.
- Joseph Mar Thoma Metropolitan, the primate of the Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church, has died recently.
- Renowned Vocalist and Guru, Padma Bhushan Awardee Puliyur Subramanian Narayanswamy has passed away recently.
- Veteran elocutionist Pradip Ghosh died.
- Actor Zarina Roshan Khan recently passed away.
Banking News (Domestic and International Banks):
- IDBI Bank has launched banking services on WhatsApp for seamless customer experience.
- Reserve Bank of India will conduct its first ever Open Market Operation (OMO) purchase of State Department Loans (SDLs) on 22 October, 2020.
- Asian Development Bank and Government of India have signed a 177 Million dollar loan to upgrade 450 kilometres of state highways and major District roads in Maharashtra.
- Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance has launched “Invest 4G Plan” with multiple saving options, protection cover.
- Okuhara Nozomi from Japan beat Carolina Marin from Spain to claim the Women’s Single Title in Denmark Open 2020.
- Anders Antonsen (Denmark) defeated Rasmus Gemke (Denmark) to win the Men’s Single Title in Denmark Open 2020.