OBC Scholarships are awarded to those students who come from OBC category (Other Backward Class).
There are many OBC Scholarships provided by central government, state government, non government organisations for OBC category students who have potential but are not able to move forward because of weak economic conditions. Financial assistance relieves many of the hurdles that prevent students from completing their education. In order to know everything about all the OBC Scholarships, you should follow the below mentioned list of OBC Scholarships. Read all the types of scholarships available for OBC students in India or abroad and apply for the scholarship that fits your requirements.
OBC Scholarship – List
|Scholarship name||Awarding authority|
|Central Sector Scheme for National Overseas||Central Government|
|Merit Scholarship for OBC Students (Delhi)||Delhi Government|
|National Fellowship for OBC||Central Government|
|ONGC Scholarship||Non Government|
|Post-matric Scholarship||Every state government|
|Pre-matric Scholarship||Every state government|
|OASIS Scholarship||West Bengal Government|
|Vidyasiri ePass Scholarship||Karnataka Government|
|Digital Gujarat Scholarship||Gujarat Government|
OBC Scholarships- Central Sector Scheme for National Overseas
Central Sector Scheme for National Overseas is an OBC Scholarship available for those who wish to pursue a Masters or PhD in a foreign university. Applicable fields under this OBC Scholarship are Medicine, Engineering, Management and Agricultural Science. Every year 25 Scholarships are offered per subject and 30% of the scholarships are allotted to female applicants. Candidates pursuing their PhD are offered a 4 year fellowship and the master’s candidates are offered a fellowship for 3 years. The scholars also get other allowance apart from the scholarship prize such as incidence journey allowance, visa fees, poll tax, medical insurance, airfare, local travel allowance and other benefits.
- Candidates pursuing their Ph.D. or masters are eligible to apply.
- The candidates who have secured 60% marks in their previous course are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- The age of candidates should not exceed 35 years.
- The candidate’s annual family income must be less than INR 3 lakh from all sources.
- Not more than one child of the same parents/guardians will be eligible for this OBC scholarship. The award can be given only once.
OBC Scholarship- Central sector scheme for national Overseas Awards and Amount
|Course||No. Of Scholarships|
- Annual Maintenance allowance for the United States – $ 15,400 & $1500 additional for books/ essential apparatus/study tour/travel cost for attending subject related conference, workshops, binding of thesis etc
- Annual Maintenance allowance for the United Kingdom – £ 9,900 + £ 1100 additional for books/essential apparatus/study tour/travel cost for attending subject related conference, workshops, binding of thesis etc
- Annual Research allowance in the United States – £1,560
- Annual Research allowance in the United Kingdom – $2,400
How to apply OBC Scholarship- Central sector scheme for National Overseas
- Candidates are required to obtain an application form from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- Fill in the required details and attach relevant documents mentioned in the application.
- Send it back to the Ministry after completing all required processes. Employed candidates are required to send the application form through their employers. Such candidates are also required to attach their tax assessment details and salary slip.
- The candidates will be selected by the selection committee formed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- The candidates who have already taken admission in foreign universities/institutions will be given preference.
- If there is a tie between two or more candidates, the candidate senior in age will be given preference.
OBC Scholarships – National Fellowship for OBC
National Fellowship for OBC is an initiative of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India to provide financial assistance to OBC students who want to pursue higher studies such as regular and full time M.Phil. and Ph.D degrees in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology. There are 300 scholarships available for Junior Research Fellow (JRF) and 300 Scholarships for Senior Research Fellow (SRF) and the scheme covers all universities recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The number of intake of JRF has been enhanced from 300 to 1000 per year onwards to undertake advanced studies and research leading to M.Phil./Ph.D. Degrees, who have qualified in the following tests:
- National Eligibility Test ) – Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF) of UGC (for Humanities/Social Sciences) or
- UGC-Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (UGC-CSIR) NET-JRF Joint Test (for Science)
The duration of the scholarship for JRF is two years and if the progress in the research work of the awardee is found satisfactory then the tenure will be extended for a further period of three years as Senior Research Fellow (SRF). The selected students also receive allowances such as HRA, medical and leave apart from the scholarship stipend.
- The receipt of this OBC Scholarship can not avail other benefits from Central or State Government or any other body like UGC.
- National Fellowship for OBC is only available to those, doing regular and full time M./Phil. /Ph.D. course of a University/research Institution.
- A total 4% reservations of total seats are applicable to PwD students while making selection of candidates for award of fellowships by the UGC.
- Employees of any University/College/Educational institution/Central/State/UT Government shall be excluded from availing the fellowship, even if they are on study leave or Extra Ordinary Leave (EOL) to pursue M.Phil./Ph.D.
- The family annual income of the candidate should not be more than INR 6 lakh.
Duration of Fellowship – National Fellowship for OBC
|Name of course||Maximum Duration||Admissibility of JRF and SRF|
|M.Phil||2 years||2 years||Nil|
|PhD||5 years||2 years||Remaining 3 years|
|M.Phil + PhD||5 years||2 years||Remaining 3 years|
National Fellowship for OBC Reward Amounts
|Fellowship in Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences, Engineering and Technology||₹31,000 per month (JRF) ₹35,000 per month (SRF)||Initial two years Rest of the tenure|
|Contingency for Humanities & Social Science||₹10,000 per annum ₹20,500 per annum||Initial two years Rest of the tenure|
|Contingency for Science, Engineering & Technology||₹12000 per annum ₹25000 per annum||Initial two years Rest of the tenure|
|Escorts/Reader assistance (all subjects)||INR 2,000/- p.m. in cases of physically Handicapped and blind candidates|
|House Rent Allowance (HRA)||As per the rules of the respective institution|
Application Process National Fellowship for OBC
- Atfirst visit the official UGC website and click on the “View All” button of ‘scholarships/fellowships’ box.
- You will be directed to the home page for the National Fellowship for OBC.
- Then apply the form. Candidates are required to fill both part of the application form
- Fill the relevant fields such as contact details and personal information
- Educational details such as institute details, postgraduate qualifications, research topics are to be filled in.
Required Documents National Fellowship for OBC
- Candidates caste certificate
- Candidates Parents Income Certificate Issued by Valid Authority
- Candidates Passport Photo & Signature
- Post Graduate Degree Marksheet
- Undertaking by Head of the institute where the candidate has enrolled stating that required facilities will be provided by the institute to the candidate
- In case the candidate is disabled, disability certificate will be required
Selection Process of the National Fellowship for OBC
The selection process will be based on merit in each UGC-NET-JRF and CSIR-NET-JRF examination and will be made twice in a year.
The qualified candidates have to enroll in universities/institutions/colleges recognized under:
Under Sections 2 (f) of the UGC Act, 1956, i.e., Universities established under Central, Provincial or State Acts or any other institution recognized by UGC.
Grant-in-Aid Deemed Universities under Section 3 of UGC Act, i.e., institution for higher education notified by Central Government to be deemed University, in consultation with UGC.
Universities/Institution funded by State/ Central Government.
Institutions of National Important as notified as by Ministry of Human Resource Development. (mhrd.gov.in/institutions-national-importance)
The decision of the UGC in regarding to awarding the fellowship shall be final and no appeal could be filed against it.
Payment of National Fellowship for OBC
Payment of fellowship and any other admissible allowance shall be made to beneficiaries through their bank account on DBT mode.
OBC Scholarship – ONGC Scholarship
This is an initiative of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation which offers 1000 Scholarships to OBC and economically backward general students who are in their first year of Engineering/MBBS/MBA or Master’s in Geophysics/Geology programme. Each qualified student will receive ₹4000 per month i.e, ₹48,000 in a year.
ONGC Scholarship Duration
|Graduate in Engineering||4|
|Master in Geology/ Geophysics||2|
ONGC Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
- Students must be in their first year of Engineering/MBBS/MBA or Master’s in Geophysics/Geology programme.
- Students have to register themselves in full-time/ regular courses approved by AICTE/ MCI/UGC/Association of Indian Universities/State Education Boards/State Government/Central Government.
- Students must have obtained a minimum 60% marks or equivalent CGPA/OGPA in class 12 for Engineering and MBBS courses and a minimum 60% marks or equivalent CGPA/OGPA in graduation for PG courses in Geophysics/Geology and MBA (Note: The minimum CGPA/OGPA should be 6.0 in 10 points scale of grading system).
- The family income of the candidate from all sources should not exceed INR 2 lakhs per annum.
- Students age should not be more than 30 years.
ONGC Scholarship Amount
Total number of Scholarships – 600 for Graduate in Engineering, 100 for MBBS, 200 for Masters in Geology/Geophysics and 100 for MBA students. Each student will be awarded with ₹4000 per month upto the course duration.
Zone wise distribution of numbers of ONGC Scholarships
|Zone||North zone||West zone||North East zone||East zone||South Zone|
|States and union territory||Jammu and Kashmir, Delhi, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Chandigarh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand||Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli||Assam, Sikkim, Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura||Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal||Tamilnadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands|
|No. Of Scholarships||200||200||200||200||200|
Address of North zone- Chief Manager (HR),
Reservation Cell, Green Hills, A-Wing, Ground Floor, ONGC, Tel Bhavan,
Dehradun – 248003
Address of West zone- GM (HR),
ONGC, NBP Green Heights, Plot No. C-69, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (E),
Mumbai – 400051
Address of North-East zone-
SVS, ONGC, Assam Asset, Central Workshop, 2nd Floor, B.G. Road,
Sivasagar – 785640, Assam
Address of East zone-
MBA Basin, ONGC, 50 – J.L. Nehru Road,
Kolkata – 700071
Address of South zone-
ONGC, 7th Floor, East Wing, CMDA Tower – I, Gandhi Irwin Road, Egmore,
Chennai – 600008
Required Documents for ONGC – OBC Scholarship
- Copy of caste certificate in Hindi/English
- Copy of birth certificate/ mark sheet of class 10 as proof of age
- Mark sheet of class 12 is required for Engineering/MBBS Students
- Aadhar card is compulsory before the release of Scholarship amount.
- Copy of consolidated Graduation mark sheet in case of MBA/Masters in Geology/Geophysics students.
- Copy of Income certificate issued from the competent District Revenue Authority not below the rank of Tehsildar.
- Bank details of the applicant in the ECS form attested by the bank as prescribed.
- Copy of PAN card or the tentative date for submission of PAN card copy (in case it is not available)
Application Process of ONGC- OBC Scholarship
- Go to the official website of ONGC to access the application form.
- Fill all the details and upload above mentioned necessary documents.
- Other documents such as the ECS are to be duly filled by the respective bank and uploaded on to the site to complete the application process.
- Send the completed application form along with the documents to the designated ONGC office of your respective zone.
Selection process ONGC Scholarship
- Selection of the candidate will be based on the percentage obtained in the qualifying examination prescribed in eligibility criteria. If two or more candidates score equal marks, students with lower family income will get preference.
- There is also a special preference for students from families below the poverty line.
- The final list of the beneficiaries of the scholarship shall be posted on www.ongcindia.com
Disbursement of ONGC Scholarship
- The amount shall be paid on a yearly basis after completion of the academic year. The amount of scholarship will be deposited directly in the bank account of students through ECS facility.
- This scholarship will be continued every academic year until the course is completed. But if the candidate fails in his/her course , the scholarship will be discontinued.
- For the continuation of the scholarship, the students will have to send an online ‘Application for renewal’ in the prescribed format.
Terms and Conditions of ONGC- OBC Scholarship
- The recipient of ONGC Scholarship can not avail any other Scholarship. If any student opts for any different Scholarship subsequently after award of ONGC Scholarship, he/she should have to refund the entire scholarship amount received from ONGC Foundation.
- 50% of scholarships are reserved for girl students.
- The award of the scholarship shall not confer any right of employment with ONGC group of companies or its joint ventures.
- All the necessary documents mentioned in the application form must be attested and forwarded by their Head Head/Principal/ Dean of the Institute/ College/ University.
ONGC Scholarship- Key Dates
Starting Date for online application form: soon update
Last date for receipt of application form: soon update
Last date to send Application Form: soon update
ONGC Scholarship Results Declaration: soon update
ONGC Scholarship – Contact Details
If you have any query regarding ONGC Scholarship free feel to contact the authority on the below-given details –
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited,
Green Hills Tel Bhavan,
Dehradun – 248003
Tel.: 0135 – 2792630, 2792656
OBC Scholarship- Pre Matric Scholarship for OBC
Pre Matric OBC Scholarship scheme is initiated by Department of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Government of India and implemented by every state government or union territory. The main motive of this scheme is to provide a better education with the help of financial assistance to OBC Students who are studying at pre-matric stage in any government school or private school by appropriate authorities. The students are awarded a stipend up to INR 500 per month.
Pre-matric OBC Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
The annual family income of the Candidate’s parents/guardians from all sources should not be more than 2,50,000 per annum.
Pre-matric OBC Scholarship Amount and Benefit
For day scholars:
Each eligible student from class I to X will receive ₹100 per month for 10 months in every academic year.
Each eligible student from class III to X will receive ₹500 per month for 10 months in every academic year.
In addition, Rs.500/- per student per annum to all students i.e. hostellers as well as day scholars is also provided as Ad-hoc grant.
The application process is to be handled by the respective school authorities on the student’s behalf.
The concerned state government and union territory administrations will lay down the detailed procedure for selection of students.
Terms and Conditions
- Regular attendance records should not be less than 60% in the previous year.
- Bank accounts of the applicants should be AADHAR seeded to avoid any duplication.
- This scholarship recipient shall not be allowed to avail of benefits from any other pre-Matric Scholarship scheme.
OBC Scholarships – Post-matric Scholarship for OBC
The Central government sponsored this post matric OBC Scholarship scheme and it is implemented by all the state governments and Union Territories. The objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to the OBC students studying at post-matriculation or post-secondary stage to enable them to complete their education. The scholars are paid non-refundable fees (for tuition, games, union, library etc), charges for study tours and thesis typing.
Post Matric Scholarship- Eligibility Criteria
- This scholarship is available for Indian nationals belonging OBC category.
- The annual family income of the candidate’s parents/guardians should not exceed 1.00 lakh from all sources (including self income if employed).
- Only two children of the same parents/guardian will be entitled to receive scholarships. This restriction will, however, not apply to girls.
OBC Scholarships- Post-matric Awards
|Course||Rate of maintenance allowance for hostellers (per month)||Rate of maintenance allowance for Day scholars (per month)|
|Group A- I) Degree and postgraduate degree level course such as M.Phil., PhD in Medicine (II) Commercial pilot license (III) Postgraduate diploma course in Management and Medicine (IV)CA/ICWA/CS etc (V) M.Phil., PhD and postdoctoral programmes (D.Litt, D.Sc etc) (VI) LLM||INR 750||INR 350|
|Group B- (I) Graduate and postgraduate course in Pharmacy, Nursing, LLB, BFS, other paramedical branches like rehabilitation diagnostics etc. Mass communication, hotel management and catering, Travel/tourism/hospitality management, Interior decoration, nutrition & Dietetics, Commercial art, Financial services (banking, insurance, taxation etc) for which entrance qualification is minimum Sr. Secondary (10+2) (II) Postgraduate courses (MA, M.Sc, M.Com, M.Pharma, M.Ed etc)||INR 510||INR 335|
|Group C- All other courses which are not covered in Group A & group B such as B.A, B.Sc. B.Com etc||INR 400||INR 210|
|Group D- All post matriculation level non-degree courses such as ITI, 3-year diploma in Polytechnics etc.||INR 260||INR 160|
- Study tours: A maximum amount of ₹900 will be paid to the scholars studying professional and technical courses, as the expenditure of study tours if the head of the institution certifies that the study tour is compulsory for the scholar to complete his/her course of study.
- Thesis typing/ printing charges:
Upto maximum ₹1000 will be paid as thesis typing/ printing charges to the research scholars on the recommendation of the Head of the Institution.
- Readers charges for blind Students:
For Group A and Group B, reader allowance for blind Students is ₹175 per month.
For Group C, reader allowance for blind Students is ₹130 per month.
For Group D, reader allowance for blind Students is ₹90 per month.
Commercial Pilot License Course (CPL)
CPL course shall be covered under Group ‘A’. Only those students undergoing training in Government of India flying clubs/institutes will be covered. The number of awards for CPL will be 20 per annum.
Post matric Scholarship Required documents
- One copy of the application for Scholarship in the prescribed form. (Separate form is prescribed for fresh and renewal application).
- A passport size photograph with the signature of the candidate
- One attested copy each of certificates/ deploma/degree etc
- Caste certificate is required, signed by an authorised Revenue Officer.
- Income certificate
- The applicants can fill both online and offline application forms on the respective state/UT portal.
- Candidates are required to fill the form and attach all the necessary documents according to the guidelines as prescribed by State Government/Union Territories.
Terms and conditions
- This scholarship recipient shall not be allowed to avail benefits from any other post Matric Scholarship scheme from the central/state government.
- Depending on the availability of funds, first preference will be given to the students of government institutions, then to the students of government aided institutions and after that to the students of unaided private institutions.
- If any student fails to secure promotion to the next higher class, the payment of scholarship will be discontinued.
OBC Scholarships – Merit scholarship for OBC, Delhi:
Merit scholarship for OBC students is an initiative by the Department of the welfare of SC/ST/OBC/Minorities, Delhi. This scholarship is available for the OBC Students who are pursuing their study from class 6th to 12th and the students who are pursuing professional courses like engineering or medicine are also eligible for this scholarship. The maximum awarded amount for technical courses is ₹1620 per month and for other courses it is ₹4500 per year.
- Candidates must be Domicile Or have a permanent Address/ Resident Of Delhi.
- OBC students who are studying from class 6th to 12th must have secured at least 55% marks in previous class.
- In case of professionals in technical institutes or colleges, maximum 60% marks are required in Class 12th or equivalent to avail the scholarship.
- The annual family income of candidates should not exceed INR 2 lakh from all sources.
OBC Scholarship- Merit Scholarship amount
The stipends of merit Scholarship for OBC students are divided into four groups.
Group A- The available courses under group A are Degree courses –
Medical, Engineering, B.Sc. Agri, Forensic science etc. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹1620 per annum and for hostellers is ₹900 per annum.
Group B- The available courses under group B are-
(I) Postgraduate course in a technical/professional course. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹1860 per annum and for hostellers is ₹960 per annum.
(II) Diploma Level courses- Engineering, Architecture, Applied Nutrition, Printing technology etc. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹1120 per annum and for hostellers is ₹720 per annum.
Group C- it includes the following courses
I) Certificate course – Engineering and architecture. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹9300 per annum and for hostellers is ₹630 per annum.
(II) Medicine diploma courses- Agriculture/Veterinary Science, Dairy, Fishery, public health etc. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹804 per annum and for hostellers is ₹420 per annum.
III) Degree or postgraduate diploma or postgraduate courses- Music, Fine Arts, Law, etc. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹930 per annum and for hostellers is ₹630 per annum.
(I) General course to undergraduate level. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹804 per annum and for hostellers is ₹420 per annum.
(II) Postgraduate course in arts and commerce. The allowance for day Scholars is ₹930 per annum and for hostellers is ₹630 per annum.
- One copy passport size photograph with the signature of the candidate.
- Residence proof
- Attested copy of the caste certificate in the name of student/parents issued by concerned Tehsildar/ S.D.M, Deputy Commissioner Officer (Revenue), Govt. Of NCT of Delhi.
- Aadhar card
- Income certificate
- Bank details of student (AADHAR seeded)
- Fee receipt
The whole application process is done online and no offline application is available.
- At first the official website of e District Delhi portal then register yourself.
- Once the registration is done, enter your User ID and password to log in.
- Then fill the application form with proper details , upload all the necessary documents and submit before due date.
- Print out a hard copy of the filled application form for future reference.
For any queries/problems in applying for scholarship on E-district portal send e-mail to dscstschscheme.delhi [AT] gov.in or contact at 011-23378418 / 011-23379514
Address: Government of NCT of Delhi deptt. for the welfare of sc/st/obc, B block, 2nd floor, Vikas Bhawan, I.P.Estate New Delhi – 110002
Backward Classes Welfare Department, Government of West Bengal is the provider of Oasis Scholarship. This scholarship is available for meritorious students coming from SC/ST/OBC category of the state of West Bengal. The main objective of this scholarship is to provide financial help to economically weak students so that they can overcome the hurdles and complete their undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Interested and eligible candidates need to apply in the online mode within schedule date and time. The eligible candidates need to fill up the application form by visiting the official website. All the pre and post-matric scholarships have been enlisted in the OASIS scholarship portal. Students from class IX to Postgraduate can avail this OASIS Scholarship.
List of key OASIS Scholarship:
- Pre-matric scholarship for SC students
- Pre-matric scholarship for ST students
- Post-matric scholarship for SC/ST students
- Post-matric scholarship for OBC students
In order to know about eligibility criteria, rewards, Application process, required documents, renewal process, selection process, key dates, you need to follow the OASIS Scholarship.
Vidyasiri ePass Scholarship
The Karnataka Vidyasiri ePass Scholarship is a welfare scheme provided by the Department of Backward Classes Welfare, Government of Karnataka. This scholarship is offered to the students who belong to SC/ST/OBC/PWD community of Karnataka but have good potential in academic field. Through this scholarship, government tries to uplift these students by bringing them to the main stream.
Know everything about Vidyasiri ePass Scholarship and apply soon.
Digital Gujarat Scholarship
Government of Gujarat and its subsidiary departments provide the Digital Gujarat Scholarship to students belonging to economically weaker and underprivileged sections of the society. In order to apply for Digital Gujarat Scholarship, candidates should belong to the SC/ST/OBC/SEBC category and permanent resident of Gujarat. All the information related to Digital Gujarat Scholarship scheme is available here. Do not miss the opportunity, just read the full article and apply.